SHEFFIELD Chess History

 

Contents:

T W Ward Trophy

Yorkshire Home

 

Sheffield Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Sheffield

Miscellaneous

 

The first trophy for the Sheffield Individual Chess Championship was presented by industrialist Thomas W Ward, who was a vice-president of Sheffield Chess Club at a time when that club had responsibility for running the affairs of the suspended Sheffield and District Chess Association.

 

This may have been in 1913, the year “Tommie” Ward was Sheffield’s Master Cutler.

 

The terms under which it was donated provided for a person to win it outright if they won it twice, three times, or whatever the exact terms were.

 

Accordingly, G. W. Moses won the trophy outright in 1918.

 

In time the trophy re-entered active life as the G. W. Moses Trophy, but, sadly, the original engraving on historic trophy was wholly erased in the conversion for its new life.

 

As the trophy for the Sheffield Individual Chess Championship, it was superseded by the Bruce Trophy.

 

 

Created

14/05/2012

Copyright © 2012 Stephen John Mann

Last Updated

14/05/2012