SHEFFIELD Chess History

 

Contents:

Holroyd Trophy

Yorkshire Home

 

Sheffield Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Sheffield

Miscellaneous

 

The titular engraving on this electroplated base metal trophy says simply

 

PRESENTED TO

SHEFFIELD CHESS ASSOCIATION

BY

H. H. HOLROYD Esq.

SHEFFIELD CLASS “B” TOURNAMENT.

 

(Click here for a photograph of the trophy.)

 

It went into service as described in the above inscription in 1937, but it started life in 1901 as the club championship trophy of Hutton’s chess club.  This club drew members from the staff of William Hutton and Sons on West Street.

 

William Hutton and Sons was a silversmith and cutlery firm originating in Birmingham, but moving to Sheffield in 1832.  The Sheffield factory on West Street, completed in 1855, remained known as Hutton’s building after the cutlery connection ceased.  This building is still there, having for many years housed Hartley Seed’s bookshop, but now housing newer concerns.

 

Mr. Harry Herman Holroyd joined Hutton’s Chess club in 1896, and later became secretary and captain of the club.  This was at a time when the Sheffield league had yet to form its second division, and there wasn’t even a trophy to be awarded to the league winners.

 

Three other members of Hutton’s were three brothers by the name of Stringer.  Between them, Louis Stringer, William Stringer and H. H. Holroyd decided to present a trophy for the Hutton’s club championship.  This trophy was no off-the-shelf affair.  The chasing on the trophy was carried out by Louis Stringer, so it was presumably made at Hutton’s factory.  Thus the trophy is a purpose-made chess trophy, fashioned by a local chess-player using traditional Sheffield skills.  On the reverse is a depiction of a game of chess in progress, with one of the players supposedly being Ruy Lopez, the 16th-century Spanish priest.

 

Winners of this trophy in the Hutton club championship were:

1901-02  H.H. Holroyd

1902-03  Walter Stringer (brother of Louis and William)

1903-04  W. Knowles

1904-05  R. Combes

1905-06  H. H. Holroyd

 

When Hutton’s Chess Club folded, due primarily to the Stringers emigrating to America, it was agreed that Harry, as the first and last winner, should retain the club championship trophy.  Harry and other members of the Hutton’s club formed Walkley Reform Chess Club, around 1911.

 

In due course Harry presented the trophy to the Sheffield & District Chess Association for competition in Class B of the Sheffield individual championship, successive winners of which have been as follows (as engraved):

 

1937

F. W. Titley

1938

W. Loxley

1939

A. Hancock

1945

J. Taylor

1946

W. E. Thompson

1947

B. Siddall

1948

E.Brunyee

1949

P. R. Taylor

1950

A. R. Taylor

1951

R. V. Tranter

1952

R. Hackney

1953

H. W. Grooby

1954

S. Crookes

1955

T. W. North

1956

J. Ogle

1957

N. E.Maton

1958

R. A. Low

1959

E. F. F. Gillespie

1960

J. G. Hudson

1961

J. E. Scholes

1962

M. P. Littlewood

1963

J. Rastall

1964

F. J. Baxter

1965

D. Pletcher

1966

B. Fletcher

1967

G. Frost

1968

J. L. Powell

1969

N. C. Wilson

1970

J. Everson

1971

S. J. Lorber

1972

A. McCaig

1973

M. D. Smith

1974

L. Wells

1975

P.Tilbrook

1976

D. Greensmith

1977

A. C.Porter

1978

P. Swanson

1979

R.S. Hughes

1980

K. M. Hogan

1981

J.W.R. Nicholson

1982

R. C. Cannings

1983

J. A. Fryer

1984

W. Ward

1985

S. J. Mann

1986

K. Dewhurst

1987

W. Ward

1988

A. M. Burrell

1989

M. Hankinson

1990

M. Hankinson

1991

 

1992

P. Beckett

1993

J. Arnott

1994

M. Burrell

1995

R. Kavannah

1996

N. Todd

1997

G. D. Brown

1998

M. Newton

1999

P. Ellis

2000

 

2001

 

2002

(illegible)

2003

J. Fryer & G. Smith

2004

G. Smith

2005

P. Ellis

2006

X. Y. Guo

2007

X. Y. Guo

2008

G Stables

2009

 

2010

 

2011

 

2012

 

2013

 

 

 

Created

05/09/2013

Copyright © 2013 Stephen John Mann

Last Updated

05/09/2013