SHEFFIELD Chess History

 

Contents:

G W Moses Trophy

Yorkshire Home

 

Sheffield Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Sheffield

Miscellaneous

 

G. W. Moses won outright the T.W. Ward Trophy for the Sheffield Championship when he won it for a second or third time (or whatever) in 1918.

 

On the death of G. W. Moses, his family donated back the trophy back to the Sheffield Association and District Chess Association, in accordance with his wishes.

 

This posed the question of what to do with the trophy, and it was decided to run a “champion of champions” competition which was open to champions or nominees of all clubs affiliated either to the S&DCA or to the Sheffield & District Works Sports Association Chess Section.  Sadly, in the writer’s view, the inscriptions already existing on the trophy, from when it was the Sheffield Championship Trophy up to 1918, were erased when the trophy was re-designated the G. W. Moses trophy.

 

This “champion of champions” ran alongside the two organisations’ own internal championships, but that of the S&DCA continued to be regarded as the Sheffield Championship proper.  This use came to an end with the effective demise of the Works chess section in 2008.

 

After the death of Sam Haystead (see Haystead Memorial Trophy) the trophy was donated to Sam’s family as a memento of his chess activity.

 

 

Created

14/05/2012

Copyright © 2012 Stephen John Mann

Last Updated

05/08/2013