SHEFFIELD Chess History

 

Contents:

Lyceum Chess Club

Yorkshire Home

 

Sheffield Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Sheffield

Miscellaneous

 

From 1849 to 1854, the Lyceum Club occupied the better parts of the Mechanics’ Institution’s premises on Surrey Street, which were built during 1847-48, at a cost of about £7,000 including furnishings and some improvements in the first few years.  The Mechanics’ Institution was formed in 1832, but its association with the Lyceum Club’s activities seem to have been a financial disaster.

 

The Lyceum Chess Club was presumably a chess club within the Lyceum Club, in the same way the Sheffield Athenaeum Chess Club was a chess club within the Sheffield Athenaeum Club, with its own chess club officials and annual subscription etc.

 

When Löwenthal visited Sheffield in 1852, and when Staunton visited Sheffield in 1852, both visited the Lyceum Chess Club.  Members at the time included Dr. John Charles HallDr Joseph Law and Dr. Charles Elam were probably members also (as they weren’t members of the Sheffield Athenaeum Chess Club).

 

The Lyceum Club was dissolved in 1854, which date presumably also was the date of cessation of the Lyceum Chess Club.

 

 

Created

14/05/2012

Copyright © 2012 Stephen John Mann

Last Updated

14/05/2012