SHEFFIELD Chess History

 

Contents:

1864: Sheffield Athenaeum Chess Club Annual Meeting

Yorkshire Home

 

Sheffield Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Sheffield

Miscellaneous

 

The Chess Player’s Magazine, Volume II, 1864, p.153, reported on the annual meeting and soirée of the Sheffield Athenaeum Chess Club as follows:

CHESS SOIREE AT SHEFFIELD.-On Thursday evening, March 31st, the annual meeting of the Sheffield Chess Club [Sheffield Athenaeum Chess Club] was held at the rooms of the Athenaeum.  The occasion was specially interesting on account of the presentation of a very handsome and valuable set of large-sized ivory Staunton chessmen to the retiring President of the Club, E. Thorold, Esq., who has lately left Sheffield for Bath.  The members mustered in strong force, and an agreeable evening was passed, Mr. Thorold expressing the pleasure he should always have in looking back to the many happy years he had spent in friendly connection with the Sheffield Club, and thanking the many friends he was leaving for the handsome way in which they had been pleased to signify their good will and personal esteem.  The chessmen, of the finest ivory, were presented in a beautiful mahogany case (value 10 guineas), the lid of which was engraved with a suitable inscription.  The remainder of the evening was spent in play, Mr. Thorold contesting six games simultaneously (two consulting and four single).  In all he maintained his well-known ability by winning a majority.  The following gentlemen were elected as the officers for the ensuing year – viz., W. Cockayne, Esq., President; G. S. Taylor, Esq., Vice-President; and Mr. G. B. Cocking, Secretary.

 

The departing president was Edmund Thorold.  The newly elected officers were William Cockayne, George Stopford Taylor, and George Bailey Cocking.

 

 

Created

14/05/2012

Copyright © 2012 Stephen John Mann

Last Updated

14/05/2012