SHEFFIELD Chess History

 

Contents:

T. W. Crabb Shield Tournament

Yorkshire Home

 

Sheffield Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Sheffield

Miscellaneous

 

The acquisition by the Sheffield & District Chess Association of the eponymous shield (see T. W. Crabb Shield), which had originally been contested, back in the 1930’s, within the former Woodseats Friends Chess Club, led to the institution of an annual one-day rapidplay tournament open to Association players.  (For a photograph of the Shield, see T. W. Crabb Shield.)

 

The first such modern-day T. W. Crabb Shield Tournament was held in 1981.  The winners of the tournament in 1981 to 1886 were engraved on the six unused small silver shields.  Thereafter additional shields were affixed for the engraving of winners’ names.  Winners from 1981 onwards (where known) have been as follows:

 

1981

R. S. Hughes

 

2001

 

1982

D. Edmunds

 

2002

 

1983

B. A. Jones & W. Ward

 

2003

J. Nelson

1984

D. Greensmith

 

2004

D. Latham

1985

K. Dewhurst

 

2005

P. Blackman

1986

J. R. Graham

 

2006

 

1987

 

 

2007

 

1988

C. G. Willey

 

2008

A. Ledger & J. Nelson

1989

M. P. Littlewood

 

2009

 

1990

M. Allison

 

2010

A. Ledger

1991

P. W. Hempson

 

2011

J. Nelson & A. Ledger

1992

J. A. Fryer & M. Broom

 

2012

C. Shephard

1993

M. Hankinson

 

2013

M. Edwards-Wright

1994

 

 

2014

D. Jeje & A. Ledger

1995

 

 

 

 

1996

 

 

 

 

1997

 

 

 

 

1998

 

 

 

 

1999

 

 

 

 

2000

 

 

 

 

 

The blanks in the above table, for 1987, 1994 to 2002, 2006, 2007 and 2009, reflect the absence of related engraving on the shield.  It is probable the tournament was conducted in most of those years.

 

 

Created

04/08/2014

Copyright © 2014 Stephen John Mann

Last Updated

04/08/2014