Yorkshire Chess History
Rev. Edwin Colman Tyson
Edwin Colman Tyson’s parents were the Rev. Isaac Tyson, vicar of Adlingfleet and Mary Bethia (Methia?) Tyson. Adlingfleet was then in the eastern extremity of the West Riding of Yorkshire, and is now in East Yorkshire. It is to the south of the Humber estuary, about 11 miles east of Goole, and about a mile-and-a-half from the River Trent which formed the boundary with Lincolnshire.
At some time Isaac Tyson was domestic chaplain to the Right Honourable Edwin the first Earl of Harewood (according to his daughter’s obituary in the Doncaster Chronicle of 21/09/1859).
The couple had at least five children, all born and baptised at Adlingfleet (though the baptism of our man and others isn’t included in Doncaster & District Family History Society’s listing of Adlingfleet All Saints Baptisms 1786 to 1892):
Edwin was admitted as a pensioner at St Catherine's, Cambridge on 1st July 1814; he matriculated in Lent 1815, got his BA in 1818, becoming a Fellow in that year, and got his MA in 1821. Though ordained, he was ever “without cure”. In other words he never functioned as curate, vicar or similar of a church. Brother William Daniel Tyson, on the other hand, did become a cleric with cure of souls.
His father, the Rev. Isaac Tyson, died in 1820 at the age of 55, having been vicar of Adlingfleet for 25 years, according to the burial register. He was buried at Adlingfleet on 11th November 1820. Inside the church is a plaque saying:
the body of the Revd.
Vicar of this place twenty six years,
who departed this mortal life on
the eighth day of November in the
year of our Lord one thousand eight
hundred and twenty
and in the fifty fifth year of his age.
Baines’s History, Directory & Gazetteer of Yorkshire, Vol. II: East & North Ridings, 1823, listed the Rev. Isaac Tyson as incumbent at All Saints, Adlingfleet (where the patron was the King, rather than a regional noble or worthy institution), residing at the vicarage; it listed the Rev. John Tyson (brother of Isaac?) as curate at Goodmanham, little over a mile NE of Market Weighton; it also listed the Rev. John Tyson (the same one?) living at Southgate, Market Weighton.
Venn says Rev. Edwin Colman Tyson was sometime headmaster of the Mathematical School, Christ’s Hospital, without giving dates.
White’s Leeds & Clothing District Directory, 1830, listed no obviously connected Tysons. Pigot & Co.'s Directory of Yorks, Leics etc , 1841, listed the Rev. W. D. Tyson, our man’s brother, as resident at Kilham near Great Driffield.
Although Pigot’s directory of 1841 doesn’t mention our man, Edwin Colman Tyson must have moved to Huddersfield by 1840, as he is listed as a Wakefield representative at the first meeting of the Yorkshire Chess Association in January 1841.
His arrival in Wakefield may have related to his getting married, as the 1841 census listed consecutively at Northgate, Wakefield, Edwin Colman Tyson and Martha Tyson, both aged 45. Whilst the 1841 census didn’t quote relationships, the reasonable inference is that Martha was his wife. (Probate records describe him as being a widower at death.)
White’s Directory of Leeds & the Clothing District, 1842, listed Rev. Edwin Coltman [sic] Tyson living at Northgate, Wakefield, without attributing any trade or profession, and White’s Directory of Leeds & the Clothing Districts, 1847, reiterates the same information, maintaining the erroneous “Coltman”.
Locating our man in the 1851 census is difficult, possibly due to the tendency for his surname to be mangled and quoted as Coleman, Coltman or worse.
White’s Directory of Leeds, Bradford etc, 1854, adds an address, listing Rev Edwin C. Tyson M.A. at Howard Street, Wakefield.
How he occupied his time in Wakefield, apart from playing chess, is unclear, except that Venn describes him as an author on mathematical subjects (which would potentially be of interest to Venn himself).
Venn states that from 1855 to 1863 he lived at Milburn, Cumberland, 6 miles north of Appleby. The 1861 census found him living at Milburn with his brother, the Rev. William Daniel Tyson, who was perpetual curate of Milburn, Westmoreland, from 1858 to 1865. They must have been reasonably well off as they retained two domestic servants.
Edwin died on 3rd September 1863, age 68, when his abode was recorded as being at Lazonby, 7 miles NNE of Penrith, though probate records describe him as being “of Milburn”, so Lazonby may merely have been his place of death. “Rev. Edwin Colman Tyson M.A.” was buried 11th September 1863, in the Parish of John the Baptist, Wentworth Street, Wakefield, by Frederick A. Gardiner B.A.
The grave register of St. John’s lists “Tyson”, with no initials etc, as owner of grave plot 529, saying that the grave was of stone. Reference to the grave plan of the south side of the church reveals that the numbering system around 529 was somewhat disrupted, with numbers somewhat scattered and not in sequence. Number 529 was not found on the plan, and nor was the name Tyson. Whilst it may be there on the plans, no visible evidence was found on the ground.
He died with effects “under £3,000”. Probate was granted to two of his brothers, “Henry Lascelles Tyson of Bridlington Quay, Yorkshire, gentleman,” and “Rev. William Daniel Tyson of Milburn in Westmoreland.”
The said William Daniel Tyson died 18/03/1865, and was buried at All Saints Adlingfleet, on 23/03/1865. The burial register gave his residence at the time as being in Crowle, Lincolnshire. (Had he retired thither, near to his place of birth, from Milburn?) The grave is the thirteenth against the perimeter after turning immediately left once through the main entrance:
Revd. William Daniel Tyson M.A.,
incumbent of Milburn, Penrith,
youngest son of the late
Revd. Isaac Tyson
Vicar of this parish.
He was born May 17th 1804
and died the 18th of March
Copyright © 2012 Stephen John Mann
Census information is copyright of The National Archive, see UK Census Information