Yorkshire Chess History

 

Contents:

1871: Yorkshire v Lancashire

Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Buildings

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Yorkshire

Miscellaneous

 

Sheffield Sub-Site

 

The first match billed as “Yorkshire v Lancashire”, was played at the West Yorkshire Chess Association annual meeting held at the Victoria Hotel, Bradford (conveniently adjacent to the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway station), on Saturday 20th May 1871.

 

The report in the Bradford Observer of 22/05/1871 reported on the match as follows:

 

The county match was a most exciting contest, and some of the games lasted such a length of time that, by the time the Lancashire players had to leave, they were not concluded.  Several of them, therefore, had to be drawn.  It was agreed that it should be left for future consideration whether the match should be considered drawn, or the players should meet at times and places to suit their own convenience and play it out.  The prize for the winning county was given by the Bradford Chess Club.  It consisted of a set of the best African ivory chess-men, of the Staunton pattern and club size, with a chess-board and casket.  The casket was made of a black substance resembling ebony, and was beautifully carved, so as to be emblematical of the game.  The whole is worth £11 11s.  The players on the two sides were paired according to their strength, and each couple had to play two games each.  In the list given below, which shall show how the games stood when play ceased, the players are arranged in the order of their strength: -

COUNTY MATCH

 

 

Lancashire

 

Yorkshire

 

[Amos Burn]

1.

Burn, (Liverpool)

1‑0

Watkinson, (Huddersfield)

[John Watkinson]

 

 

0‑1

 

[J. Lord]

2.

Lord, (Manchester)

u

Rev. A. B. Skipworth, (Bilsdale)

[Rev.Arthur Bolland Skipworth]

 

 

u